Monday, August 10, 2009

Windows 7

As Microsoft released the RTM for Windows 7, on MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/) I decided to go along the upgrade path for my Windows Vista Ultimate laptop.

First of all, I had to download the dvd iso to my pc. And even if it’s middle august I thought that I had to show some patience… but to my surprise (and I think thank to Akamai) I could download and burn the 2.4GB image in less than 2 hours. Better than torrents :-)

Now, let’s start the in-place upgrade. It’s 8:45 in the morning. Setup starts.

First, some compatibility checks, and I have to uninstall Avira, Setup states that’s not compatible… ok, I’ll find a solution after. Uninstall Avira, reboot, restart setup.

From now on, I have nothing to do on the setup: it will restart the computer three or four times, but it will need no user input.I have the first automated  reboot after about one hour. Then I forget the pc, until the last reboot at… 16:30!!!

Incredible: 2 hours to download, almost eighth to install!!!

Now I have Win7 running, it kept all of my previous desktop setup, comprising Fences that  use to unclutter my desktop icons, and all the startup utilities like Clipx or others.

I still need time to get used to the new interface – mainly on the taskbar settings. I’ll tell you more in a few days, probably.

In the end I have to say that everything went fine, it only took more time than I expected.

Ciao!

No comments: